Art!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 |

I've started my temp job at the farm scooping up goat poo (it's a glamourous job, I know), and in between I've been finishing up a painting, one that I started many moons ago.

I quite like how it turned out. It combines a couple different things I've been interested in painting lately and I enjoyed painting it. I'm going to a local art league meeting that my grandma signed me and herself up for. It served as a good motivation, as the monthly meetings include an artist speaker who judges paintings and awards prizes. From what I can tell it's fairly informal and the prizes consist of a ribbon and a mention in the newsletter, but its still exciting nonetheless.

I also recently took a trip downtown to the LA County Art Museum for a free day of art.
There's nothing that really compares to seeing beautiful art in person, and none of these pictures do any of the pieces justice. I absolutely love walking around museums, especially art museums, and was reminded how important they are to me. Maybe it was my upbringing near Washington DC, but I've always found something nourishing and comforting about museums. Oh how I miss the dark, formaldehyde-y smell of the Natural History Museum and the light, airy spaces of the National Art Gallery.
There was also an exhibit on "California Living," what amounted to a bunch of funky but stylish 60's home decor (including a famous interior designers' living room styled during that time period that was transported there for the exhibit). There was a bathing suit there that especially interested me.
Since Lovely Bicycle! wrote a post about wool bathing suits I've been interested in them. They had one on exhibit there that was especially nice -- not to mention the lobster suit in the back. I also love the little buttons on the shoulder of the wool suit. Though I'm sure the wool underwear made today would serve as a perfect substitute, it's always fun to look at things worn in the past and the thought behind them. The designer that made this suit made it "without understructures to create suits that clung daringly close to the bodies of unfettered wearers," contrasting against other suits made at the time that shaped a woman's body to something more "idealized." I find this sentiment of acceptance of one's body appealing and am sad that such a sentiment hasn't been more prevalent in today's society.

2 comments:

G.E. said...

I adore your painting and am so glad you put it up to share! I agree with you that nothing compares to seeing art in person, and I never seem to see enough of it. Glad you're enjoying so many creative things.

Lauren said...

Thanks so much!

Post a Comment